Beechcraft D18S (PH-KHV)
The Beechcraft model 18 was designed in accordance with the philosophy of the early thirties. This meant, among other things,that a modern twin-engine plane had to have a rudder aft of either engine, to improve the effectiveness of control. The maiden flight took place on January 15th 1937. With the Second World War looming ahead, the military, too, began to take an interest in this machine. Over 90% of all American navigators and bomb aimers who served in the war got their training on this type. In 1950 the Air Force took delivery of 28 T-7s. In KLu service the T-7s flew with the Gilze-Rijen instruction-group, the advanced flying training on twin-engine aircraft (AVOT) at Twente Air Base, the TRANSVA at Ypenburg Air Base and, later, with 334 Squadron at the latter base. In 1957 most of them were returned to their original owner.
Our Beech was built in 1952 by the Beechcraft factory at Wichita, Kansas, for the Royal Canadian Air Force as a VIP plane and navigation trainer. From 1952 to 1968 she was operated by the RCAF. After many wanderings the plane found its way to the Dutch Dakota Association. The Beech was then taken over by the SKHV because the DDA wanted to standardise on Douglas aircraft.
At aviation events the aircraft is often shown in a formation in which it is flanked by three Harvard’s, producing a very imposing sight and sound.
|Beechcraft and the SKHV|
|Serial number||Type RNLAF||Type civil||Constr. yr||RNLAF registration||PH registration|
|Engine||2x Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-14B|
|Engine power||450 hp each|
|Wing span||14.53 mtr|
|Max. speed||368 kmh|
|Max. weight||3564 kg|
|Crew||2 (+ 5 passengers)|
|In NL Mil. service||28|
|In service SKHV||1|